I am not much one for riddles, but I do like a challenge. So when a former coworker asked if I could build him a site where he could post riddles and have people guess the right answer, I said yes. And that's how I became the lead developer for riddleearth.com which has over 600 subscribers who have submitted over 121,000 guesses to 150 riddles.
I built the site using
- Flask and Postgres for the backend
- Jinja templating with component-centric css for the front end
- Jquery + Ajax for seamless UI interactions
- Unit testing with Python unittest
- API integration with AWS to manage assets and mail chimp/mandril to manage communication with users
I also developed a database backup script for automatic 15-minute / hourly / day backups for added security: boto-backup.
Specific features and skills I learned as I went:
- Developing a useful admin interface and permissions so our riddle writers can submit, edit and publish riddles.
- Assigning points to users based on their riddle guesses and setting up a leaderboard
- Password retrieval and resets
Sadly, the team retired riddleearth.com after 2 years of riddling. Rest in peace, you lovely website. Thanks for putting me in uncomfortably new territory so that I could learn and grow.