I am designer who uses her powers for good. Specifically, I’m a user researcher, experience designer, pattern librarian, friend of the front-end, full-stack adventurer, and cat connoisseur.
Jump to Work, Toolkit, or Education.
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Senior Designer May 2017 - Now
- Lead design exercises and user research projects to build a better Mass.gov.
- Conduct field research, moderate user interviews, coordinate usability testing and interview stakeholders to understand constituent and customer needs.
- Define and communicate site functionality with sketches, wireframes and high-fidelity mockups.
- Contribute components and interactions to the Mayflower pattern library.
- Cultivate and engage the Mass.gov user panel of 500+ volunteer testers.
- Organize and lead design critiques for designers across projects.
- Scope, schedule and spec design work with project managers.
- Design lead for long form informational and legal content.
- Design and research lead for the Real ID decision tree in partnership with the Registry of Motor Vehicles.
- Research the needs and navigation patterns of Mass.gov’s high frequency power users in legal, financial and research fields.
- Coordinate and execute a research sprint to clarify how state and municipal employees use Mass.gov during their work.
Design Director Aug 2016 - Mar 2017
Lead UI Designer Jun 2014 - Aug 2016
Designer / Developer Jan 2013 - Jun 2014
- Lead the design team. Managed 4 designers and design contractors / freelance copywriters.
- Scoped, prioritized and slated design requests across the incubator.
- Coordinated design sprints and product brainstorming sessions.
- Wrote and promoted a user testing wiki for designers and product managers on howto recruit participants, interview effectively and use the results to find meaningful iterations.
- Designed, implemented, tracked and reported on A/B tests for different designs, language and experience flows.
- Built a component-based theming system in React and CSS for a site builder product.
- Design lead for the redesign of Cogolabs.com and Uplift Financial.
- Worked with stakeholders to design a data navigation tool and profile builder.
- Design branding, sites, emails + marketing materials for incubating teams.
- Committed HTML/CSS/JS code to various new and redesign projects.
Data Advisor Jul 2011 - Jan 2013
Associate Data Advisor Mar 2010 - Jul 2011
- Analyzed consumer insights and trends across 40+ survey datasets and provided on-demand querying and analysis forTechnographics clients.
- Senior advisorfor healthcare clients: Aetna, BCBSA, UnitedHealthcare, Mayo Clinic, CVS/Caremark, Cleveland Clinic.
- Designed and prototyped a customizable data dashboard product. This became a new product offering for the team.
- Participated in survey design exercises with survey managers and customers.
- Developed an on-boarding program in partnership with a senior advisor that increased new client renewal rate from 56% to 76%.
Boston Municipal Research Bureau
Research Associate Jun 2008 - Mar 2010
- Monitored city + state policy decisions for their impact on the City of Boston.
- Co-authored a 90-page report on the municipal funding of pension benefits.
- Attended and observed city council, school board, retirement board and committee hearings.
- Analyzed workforce trends, school quality metrics, city spending and budget proposals.
- Wrote Bureau reports, testimonies + briefing notes.
Sketch, Illustrator, Photoshop, Balsamiq, InVision, atomic design / pattern lab, pen and paper
Optimal Workshop, Validately, Crazy Egg, user recruitment, interview guides, survey design, remote and in-person interviews, unmoderated test design
Node.js, React, Express.js, Flask, Drupal
Hand Coding, Responsive Email, Litmus, Email on Acid
Center for Digital Imaging Arts, 2012
Web + Graphic Design Certificate
Boston University, 2008
B.A. Political Science, Public Policy
B.S. Communication Studies